Minnesota Criminal Sexual Conduct Defense Attorney
Defending the Accused Against Sex Crimes in Anoka & Minneapolis
Being accused of a sex crime can be a life-shattering event that can ruin your reputation, compromise your family and social relationships, and put you at risk for prison time, fines, and mandatory sex offender registration. Finding and retaining trusted and capable criminal defense representation is vitally important when faced with such allegations. Fortunately, you do not have to face such a situation alone. You can turn to Midwest Defense, located in Anoka and serving all of Minneapolis. At our firm, you can be represented by a former Marine whose tough military background will put your case in the hands of a dedicated and tenacious criminal defense lawyer.
You have constitutional rights guaranteeing due process and more which our firm will protect and defend. Furthermore, you are innocent until proven guilty and the burden of proof will fall on the prosecution. We will do everything legally possible to protect your best interests throughout the legal process. We may be able to have charges eliminated or reduced or sentencing reduced. However, every case is unique with its own set of particular circumstances that will need to be thoroughly reviewed and investigated so that we can determine your best line of defense.
Criminal Sexual Conduct in Minnesota
Under Minnesota law, sex crimes such as rape and sexual assault are labeled “criminal sexual conduct.” The state categorizes these crimes into five levels or degrees that differ according to what type of sexual conduct occurred as well as the alleged victim’s age.
These five levels break down as follows:
- First-degree that is the most serious crime involving sexual penetration in cases where the victim is less than 13 years old or between 13 and 16 when the defendant is four years older and has some type of authority over the victim. Other circumstances apply to this level of crime as well, including the use of a dangerous weapon, committing the crime with an accomplice, coercing a victim who is mental or physically incapacitated, and more.
- Second-degree where sexual penetration is not a factor but the conduct involved violence, threat of violence, force, the use of a dangerous weapon, or circumstances similar to those of first-degree.
- Third-degree involves sexual penetration under varying circumstances, such as when the defendant uses force, coercion, or the defendant is a clergy, psychotherapist, or medical professional, and in other circumstances. Age is often a factor in this charge.
- Fourth-degree involves sexual contact as opposed to penetration under the same list of circumstances as third-degree.
- Fifth-degree involves lewd behavior and nonconsensual sexual contact.
Penalties for Convictions of Criminal Sexual Conduct
The potential penalties for the above crimes are severe, including jail/prison terms, hefty fines, and sex offender registration. A first-degree charge carries a maximum of up to 30 years in prison with a mandatory minimum of 12 years and fines of up to $40,000. Second-degree charges are punishable by up to 25 years and a fine of up to $35,000 with a minimum sentence of seven and a half years. Third-degree charges carry up to 15 years in prison and a fine of up to $30,000. Fourth-degree charges carry up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $20,000. Fifth-degree is generally charged as a gross misdemeanor with up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $30,000.
Talk to Our Minnesota Criminal Sexual Conduct Lawyer Today
As you can see, any sexual misconduct is severely punished in Minnesota. Mandatory sex offender registration will further seriously impact your life, restricting where you can live and work. You have a right to a fair trial to defend your reputation, your freedom, and your future. In such a serious situation, that requires ensuring that you have an attorney who will be relentless in investigating your case, analyzing evidence, and creating a defense strategy best suited to your circumstances. At Midwest Defense, we are here to do everything possible to help you secure the best possible result.
Take your first step in your defense by contacting us at (651) 808-0335 today.
James has always been there, always.- Benjamin P.
Mr. Robbins brings a level of professionalism, integrity, dedication, perseverance, and a kind, considerate, genuine empathy to his legal practices.- Hadi M.
James is one of the best lawyers I have ever worked with.- Joel
James is professional, communicative, and gets the job done.- Chelsea L.
I served with Mr. Robbins and would recommend his services to anyone.- Mizzou M.